Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAboutMBC MInutes 6/9/2016MUNICIPAL BUILDING COMMITTEE JUNE 9, 2016 MEETING MINUTES RECEIVED TOWN C!JEIRI-, OFFICE MEMBERS PRESENT: Chris Paquin, Chairman; Robert Bary, Vice U}ia01au, A 1E` 1 Evan Epstein, Member; Ron Sellon, Police Chief Neal , ` Boldrighini, Fire Chief, Mark Cook, Highway, O eratigns,avl nage ABSENT: Bryan Young, Member; Lisa Barry, Secretary GUESTS PRESENT: Mike Ahern, OPM/Public Buildings; Bill Ross, Town Manager; Mike McKeon, Kaestle Boos Associates The meeting opened at 6:50pm at the Mansfield Town Hall The Board has gone through the pre -qualification for the sub -contractor and generals contractors and just have a few more things we need to finalize on that and we should have an answer when we meet again in two weeks. Mike Ahern has given the Board a written summary on owner performed work on site and is going to give an update: Continuing to do a filling operation on site under the direction of Weston and Sampson and a testing lab. Dug the retention area to the best of our ability in the northern site based on the concept we were given. The material that was pulled out is suitable to re -use. Investigating some testing companies still for the soil testing, steel testing and concrete testing when we get into the real construction. We will hopefully meet with a few local landscapers and landscape; architects to come up with a concept for the berm for the neighbors. Landscaper doesn't suggest planting anything on top of berm, it won't last. Looking to put a temporary irrigation system into help. The neighbors want trees in there. We had a big outcropping of ledge on west end of the entrance of the site which was finished hammering down. Breaking up withjack hammers, doesn't anticipate the need to do any blasting. May have to import a little material but not far off. The majority of the area in the back is easy to excavate. After numerous discussions with GeoTech engineer, he strongly suggests we do not try to pre -trench that. The amount of disruption we're going to do is based on the boulders he's seen is going to be traumatic. There should be a heavy excavator out there to do this job. Joe Milani's concern was he didn't want to cut out any competition and wanted a small excavator on site. Mike Ahern believes there should be at least 100,000 Ib. excavator on site and the contractor would be responsible for that. Mark Cook fully agreed to have a large excavator. It should be primarily done with site work in the next couple of weeks. Back of the site is just about done up to the building. Waiting on a plan with Verizon. Traffic signals should be up and running before the project is done. Commissioning: Mike Ahern and Ned Cooke; Clerk of the Works, reviewed the commissioning proposals from all of them and went back to Sabesta and RDK. Recommend to go with Sabesta on both buildings. Agreed to do in person meetings instead of tele -conference meetings, they seemed more reasonable. Mike handed out spreadsheet. This is to commission HVAC, DPW and Public Safety. MBC Meeting Minutes June 9, 2016 Motion To approve commissioning agent services proposal revised spreadsheet dated 6/9/16 provided by Mike Ahern, OPM. Mike is recommending NV5 Sabesta East as Commissioning Agent to perform commissioning of DPW and Public Safety Complex HVAC Systems and Environmental Climate Control, total amount of work will be $53,862.00 (Paquin/Barry); all in favor; unanimous Joe Milani: There are still some areas in front of site where Public Safety Building will be that we will hit some ledge or larger boulders. The question came in on how we want to process those items when we get to that as part of the contract. We can increase the size of the boulders that will be removed as part of the contract and amount of rippable ledge that has to be removed in the contract to make sure the contractor knows it is part of his base bid but the contractor will inflate his price'a bit because it is an unknown amount. You can have them own it as part of the base price bid and because it's an unknown they will increase their price or another way is to provide an allowance based on quantity. General discussion about these options. It comes down to where do you want to have the money held to pay for the possibility of having the rock as part of the public safety building or have it part of contract bid in the bid number and held on the payment application or held in your contingency and you pay for it as it comes up in a change order. It is recommended by Joe to go with the change order since we are right on with the budget number to keep it safe. Mike Ahern agrees. The new DPW foundation is not clear. Front section of new building where office is and first garage is very difficult to dig. General discussion about which size excavator to use. It was decided to take small quantity in unit price and any more than that use a change order. ( Invoices Motion'- To approve Kaestle Boos Associates Invoices #4 & #7 reviewed and approved by Mike Ahern in the amount of $346,210.00 (Paquin/Epstein) all in favor; unanimous Motion To approve G. Lopes Invoices #14051, 14044, 14046, 14035, 14033, 13948, 13899, & 13842 reviewed and approved by Mike Ahern in the amount of $79,967.67; (Paquin/Epstein) all in favor; unanimous Chris Paquin asking for a spreadsheet being set up with budget for the project to track costs. Mike Ahern is working on it with Renee in the DPW office and being tracked by John Stanbrook, Accountant. Mike is discussing 911 Dispatch Center and will be looking to do a feasibility study that may lead into a construction deal and would like the MBC's blessing on doing an RFQ like we have done in the past. The cost for the feasibility architectural costs and estimates, etc. will come out of the 911 State Grant money, which has about $50,000 left in it. The envelope of the building needs extensive work without even touching the inside. Someone who has knowledge of dispatch centers needs to come in and evaluate the building. Everything needs upgrades. There will have to be some sort of agreement for upkeep of building and grounds. There are accommodations already in place if staff needed to stay on site for longer shifts. The timeline for feasibility study should be done by August -September, 2016. A planning sub -committee has been developed between all four communities including Ron Sellon representing police chiefs; Mr. Keegan of Foxboro representing the town managers and the Norton Fire MBC Meeting Minutes June 9, 2016 Chief representing the fire chiefs. Once we finish feasibility study then we give the whole thing to the communities. We need to apply for grants by next June 1, 2017. It is a very attractive location right now. We are grandfathered in under old grant standards which they don't offer anymore. General discussion on how grants work. Hingham is the closest dispatch center right now. Norfolk will be next. Motion To adjourn at 8:08pm (Paquin/Barry) all in favor; unanimous Copies of approved invoices can be found in the MBC meeting room file cabinet. Respectfully submitted, Chris Paquin e5e!�<4 SignalgFe of Chair MBC Meeting Minutes June 9, 2016 Date of Acceptance