HomeMy WebLinkAboutmin conservation com 02/12/01
"
" . Mansfield Conservation Commission t\'Jt.O 'Cc
Minutes of Meeting - Febmary 12, 2.~ ~9,V,S \) t f \
l' \~n\ (>.' ' B
( resent: Commissionen Paul Boyden, Christine Flasl, Shirley Hanton, B~f ~"'n\i tarol Matthew;
Dick Lewis, Environmental Planner \) \ S~ ," , . ~ \..~
\"\ ~\\.t ~ ~ \ ~~ ('\1 S
Chairman P. Boyden called the meeting to order at 7:30 P.M. "'~SCS!\C\\U~
1. Michael Trowbridge - Request for Determination of Applicability
Re: South Main Street, Assessor's Map 16, Parcel 24
D. Lewis spoke with M. Trowbridge and he stated that weather conditions have not allowed a review of
the wetland boundary by a new wetland scientist. Motion [Hanlon/Flass] to continue unti13/26/01 at
7:45 p.rn.; voted 4-0-0.
2. The informal discussion with Gary Jacobs regarding the fiber optic project on Rte. 495 win be
continued and held on 2/26/01 due to a schedule conflid with Mr. Jacobs for this evening.
3. Request for an Extension Permit for School project (SE 211-587] - There is remaining work on the
High School portion of the project, and the Town is putting together plans for some modifications to the
approved plans for work on the track and play field areas. Motion (HanlonlMatthew] to grant a one-
year Extension for this project; Voted 5-0-0.
4. Request for partial Certificate of Compliance- LotI, Mary Dee Lane [off of Bird Rd] SE 211-589.
Only a small portion of the lot is within the loo-foot buffer zone of the wetland area across the street;
Certificate need for closing purposes. Motion (HanlonlMatthew] to issue the partial Certificate;
r Voted 4-0-0.
5. Discussion regarding letter to permit of loam at Track area - This work would be covered under the
Extended Order for the School project. The issue of the clean up behind the High School and the
Library were also raised. Motion (Flass/Bean] to send a letter to Mick Ahem and the DPW allowing
this work on the track area and asking that the status of the clean-up work be reviewed. Also, the letter
should ask Mike Ahem to come to the next available meeting of the Commission to provide an update to
the Commissioners; Voted 5-0-0.
6. Massapoag Realty Trust - Abbreviated Notice of Resource Area Delineation
Re: Gilbert Street, assorted parcels on the West side of Gilbert St.
Ron Bonvie and AI Paglia were present for Massapoag Realty. They outlined that the wetland
determination is a necessary planning tool in order to develop conceptual plans for this lOO-plus acre
parcel. They indicated that they have already spoken with D. Lewis about getting an outside wetland
consultant to review the area since it is very large in scope and it will be difficult for the Commissioners
to take the time to review all of it. They are also willing to have the abutters attend scheduled site walks
as long as they are notified [ phone number 508-648-8500]. They are also willing to have the hearing
process continued to allow for the necessary site walks and reviews. It was agreed that since a
continuation will most likely be several weeks or months away, that the abutters will be re-notified of
the next hearing date. C. Matthew asks about Vernal Pools in the area. R Bonvie says that the report
from his wetland consultant indicates that pools may be present and he will work to reduce or eliminate
impacts to any such pools. P. Boyden asks about survey of property and title search. R. Bonvie says
r that title is '~retty" much clear, and additional work will be done. Sam Andrew and Joe Doran,
representing Doranco, Inc. on Gilbert Street, ask whether any of the land filed under this application is
1
r
7.
r
8.
9.
'''Conservation Minutes 2/12/01 page 2
the 1-2 land across from their industrial operation. They are concerned with the run-off that land that
flows into a stream that crosses their property. A clarification of the exact parcels covered under this
application will be made in any future mailing or legal advertisement. Paul O'Neill, of Gilbert St.,
asked about the exact locus of the project site. Jack Vultaggio, of Gilbert St., said that the general area
has become increasingly worse as far as water problem for residents. John Farrell, Gilbert St. asks about
the number of lots. R Bonvie says that issue is not yet determined and will depend on outcome of the
wetland review. Simon O;Leary, Gilbert St, says that as a 40-year resident of the area that he feels that
the plans is "not too bad" as far as showing the wetlands. A formal discussion on the hiring of a
consultant is held and a Motion (BoydenlMathew] is made to hire an outside consultant, with the
applicant paying for the consultant with a cap of$7,500; Voted 5-0-0. The Applicant agrees that no
fll'Ill date for continuation will be set, and that notice to abutters will be made for the continuation
hearing when it is scheduled. D. Lewis will prepare a RFP and get a list of possible consultants together
for review by the Commission, hopefully at the next meeting.
Notice oUntent hearing for James Shalek
Re: 1283 R East street, Castle Hill Estates subdivision
DEP has issued a file number - SE 211-642. They commented on the criteria of how the top of bank was
determined relative to the Riverfront Area. Ralph Maloon, RIM Engineering and James Shalek were present.
The proposal is for a cluster subdivision with a bulk of the open space possibly being deeded to the Conservation
Commission. Four lot proposed, with drainage being managed through infiltrators. One of the storm water
management areas is within 100 feet of a wetland on the south side of the property. Existing plans show the other
work on the roadway and individual houses being outside the buffer zone and Riverfront area. The old
greenhouses and other out buildings have been removed with some debris piles remaining to be taken off-site.
Bob and Cathy Foley, of 1276 East St are across the street from the subdivision entrance and are concerned with
drainage and water problems on their land. R. Maloon explained the drainage system and stated that the
homeowners of these new homes will be responsible for maintaining the drainage system. D. Lewis will review
the wetland boundaries; B. Bean asks to be notified when a walk will be made as he might be able to attend.
Motion (Hanlon.Bean] to accept the Open Space Area shown as Area G for Conservation purposed; Voted 5-0-
O. Motion (HanlonlBean] to continue the hearing until 2/26/01 at 8:20 P.M.; Voted 5-0-0.
Minutes - Motion [HanlonlFlass] to accept the Minutes of January 8, 2001. Voted 5-0-0.
Motion [BeanlMatthew] to Adjourn; Voted 5-0-0.
Approved \0\.~ ~ ~ L ~ v,
r
Date
'1'1/6 I
2