Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAboutWaste Reduction & Recycling Comm. 03/09/2023MEMBERS PRESENT: MEMBERS NOT PRESENT: Called meeting to order at 4:32 Waste Reduction & Recycling Committee March 9, 2023 RECEIVED MEETING MINUTES rowpl CLERKS OFFICE Neil Rhein, Select Board 108 PLAY 18 P 1.. 59 Josh Reinke, DPW Director i"IANSF IELD Christina Collins, DPW Office Mana�U, SS A CIiUS E r r S Mark Corsillo, Resident Kristy Dunbar, Resident Mike Ahern, Public Buildings Special Projects Matthew Jacques, School Department Graham Wilson, Board of Health 1. Review and approve minutes from January 12, 2023 meeting Christina makes a motion to approve minutes. Mark seconds 5-0 (Mike wasn't present during the vote). 2. Status of draft recycling by-laws Josh started the process. This will be continued to the next meeting. 3. Discussion on next steps on proposed donation bin by-law BOH is revisiting the rules of the by-law. They were considering adding this to the amended by-law but Amy believes it should be a separate bylaw because it not really trash and she believes it should be:a separate category. Neil will volunteer to put the first draft together. Neil will also check with building inspector to see who is responsible to enforce this. Neil will check in with :Kevin before this is done. Next step is to write the by-law 4 Update on Board of Health's updated dumpster rules Graham isn't present at this meeting. 5 Update on proposed fees for recycling of TV's and next steps on recommended fee changes for disposal of white goods and bulky items to Select Board Josh is looking to make recommendation for cost. Josh said that it was brought up at the budget sub -committee meeting on a potentially trash disposal fee that we could potentially factor in to what we would charge. Mike recommended that we do a flat fee for TV's. We have limited manpower at the green. Mike thinks that currently we are charged 27 or 28 a unit. Mike recommends that we let resident know that printers should be thrown in the trash. Mike opinion is we should be competitive but just to break even. Christina said the last change in prices on TV at the green was July 1 ` 2019. Mike thinks that it should be known that this doesn't cover the cost. Mark suggests that we should only increase the fee once so he thinks we should go for the $30.00 fee. We want to encourage resident to bring the metals to the recycling park. Mike thinks that the freon related stuff waste management should deal with. Non-freon we should deal with because we get steel from it. Mike thinks we should keep in mind the convenience to the resident he thinks that it should be the same price as waste management. Mike will put together a proposed fee on what the old fee is and the new fee. Mike suggested we could look at electronic waste recycling but it would cost us money but he thinks it something to think about down the road. We should have update fee schedule for our next meeting. 6 Update on proposed idea for a town -wide yard sale Mark recommended that we do a registration fee. There would be a google map with pinned location. There would be really no cost at all. The benefit of the fee would be trying to block people from saying that they would do it and then decide not to do it. Mark said that one of the benefits would be no signs around town all year as it would be all in one day. Josh thinks that we could do a $5.00 donation to a charity. Mark thinks if we could get a charity involved they could keep track of the donation. Mark said that he could do the map he would just need addresses. Mark also going to look into event bright. Mark will also reach out the food pantry. Neil thinks that this needs to be brought to the town manager and also the select board. Everyone thinks that June 10' looks like a good date and possibly the hours 9-2am. (June 11'h Rain Date). Mike make a motion to support the town -wide yard sale. Christina seconds all in favor. 6-0 7 Resident's comments and questions None 8 Member's comments and questions Mike read some of the updated dumpster rules and he is totally opposed to it. He doesn't think that the town should be policing people that have a dumpster in their yard to clean their house then fine them and have to come to the town hall to get a permit. The permit would only be good for 21 days and they would have to go to BOH to approve the permit. There is a fee for the permits and if the dumpster going to stay longer than the time frame it has to go back to the board of health for approval. Neil asked on an update regarding the recycle park design. Mike said that one of the things that was looked at was possibly putting a dog park on the landfill, some nature trails and some jogging paths around the perimeter. They looked at some upgrades to the way that stuff is brought in to snake things flow better. Different elevations for dumpster. Separate access road out to the compost and to the police shooting ranges. Right now, it is just a concept but it will cost a lot of money. Mark said that the planning board is talking about density and changing some of the destiny bonuses especially in the TOD and MBTA overlay area. He said that Apartment building aren't currently requires to have any recycling facility. He was wondering the thoughts on this- (talking about station Apt Etc.). Mike thinks there would be a little push back especially with the cost of recycling — this discussion will be continued to the next meeting Next meeting May I I" @ 4:30 pm 9. Items not anticipated 48 hours prior to meeting None 9 Adjourn Mike makes motion to adjourn meeting; Christina seconds the motion to adjourn the meeting; all in favor 6-0 Respectfully Submitted