HomeMy WebLinkAboutmin of planning brd 06042008
Planning Board Minutes R E eEl V E 0
,-" :-"./<: nl:"!: ICE
June 4, 2008 LL _i"l\c; U\ I ·
Present: H. Thomas French, Chair; John DeMassi, Clerk; Doug Annino, Micha"t1l,,, 1:1 !, 0 0, 3: 23
McClanahan, Stan Feck, Beth Ashman-Collins, Tony Jodice, Donald Cleary, AIl8l'&at&;"
Shaun P. Burke, Director of Planning and Development
fir!
M f -~
L L~, ,~
Il'l\feetinl.~.nel1too..ti~...t1:,3~~.m.~
Motion: To appoint Mr. McClanahan Acting Chairman
(DeMassi-Cleary) All in favor. PASSES
14. . .C()rrespolldence
1. May 14, 2008 minutes
Motion: To approve as submitted (Jodice-Cleary) All in favor. PASSES
2. Meeting notices - Easton, North Attleboro, Sharon, Canoe River Aquifer Committee
. . I
[Mr. French, Mr. Feck and Mr. Annino arrived at this time]
Attorney Ed Valanzola introduced Bob Michaud, MDM Transportation, to discuss the
traffic issues.
Mr. Michaud explained a plan showing the existing development and the project site,
which shows the most logical and direct route to the site is via Cobb Street through the
Village's central roadway. He explained the existing and future traffic patterns. The
central roadway, which provides access to the Lodge and employee parking, has one
vehicle every two minutes. The roadways that tie into the central roadway generate
between one vehicle every two and every six minutes. The site will generate an
additional 20 vehicle trips per hour or less. Most trips are employee-related. When
combined with existing trips, there will likely be one vehicle per minute along the central
roadway, and the secondary roadways should not have any measurable increase. There
are things that can be done to the central roadway to better serve the existing and new
residents. The first is to improve the alignment of the roadway near the Lodge, which
currently has a section of lawn jutting out, which will be eliminated. The second is to
improve pedestrian areas, including adding crosswalks to the mailbox area. The walks
will be stamped asphalt with advance signs and ADA ramps on either side. This will
alert motorists to the presence of pedestrians and raise awareness to regulate speed along
that straight stretch.
Mr. Michaud said there have been concerns about Cobb Street being able to
accommodate emergency vehicles. He said Cobb Street is a 24-feet wide public way. He
said there are some Cobb Street residents who park across the sidewalk on Cobb Street.
He said the road will still accommodate any traffic that uses Cobb Street, and he has not
heard that public safety will have any problems accessing Cobb Street or the Village.
Mr. Michaud said traveling from Cobb Street toward South Main Street, there is
approximately one vehicle every four minutes, and going toward the Village, about 23-25
Planning Board
1
6/5/2008
i c.:~;
. ,~"'.'!' i
'~'-\
vehicles per hour. He said there are 20 vehicle trips at the main entrance to the Village
each hour. He said they expect to add six vehicles entering during the morning peak and
11 per hour leaving; there will be 20 vehicles entering and 12 leaving during the
afternoon peak. The weekday daily is 550 vehicle trips per day. Mr. Michaud said he
does not have trip counts for the weekend. He said there would be perhaps 20 or 30%
more weekend traffic because of visitors, which would be an extra vehicle trip every 5 or
10 minutes.
Mr. Michaud said there are four existing residential units on Cobb Street and 166 units at
the Village at Willow Crossing. Mr. DeMassi said the traffic count doesn't sound very
high for that number of units. Mr. Michaud said the trip characteristics of this type of
development is well documented and he believes the numbers he has used are
conservative. Mr. DeMassi asked for the weekend traffic counts. Mr. Michaud said he
would do that.
Mr. Michaud said there are existing sidewalks in the Village, but not on both sides of the
roadway. He said the nature of the existing development would be classified as a very
low-volume roadway system, with the central roadway a collector roadway. Given the
level of traffic, he said it is not necessary to provide sidewalks on both sides. He said
there are sections of the Village where there are gaps in the sidewalks and in those areas
there are many fewer vehicle trips. He said in areas like the mailboxes, it would be
appropriate to have sidewalk on both sides, with a crosswalk in between, which will be
done. He said he thinks the single sidewalk in the existing areas is appropriate. He said
crosswalks will be enhanced or added to other parts of the site.
Mr. French asked if there are any new sidewalks proposed in the first phase. Mr.
Michaud said there will be a new sidewalk on the north edge of the central roadway to
create a dedicated, contiguous connection between the existing and proposed site. He
said there will also be sidewalks to the walking paths.
Mr. Cleary asked about on-street parking. Mr. Michaud said it is allowed in the current
development. Mr. Cleary asked if there would be enough room for an emergency vehicle
to get through. Mr. Michaud said there would be. Mr. Valanzola said he has spoken with
the Fire and Police Departments, who are comfortable with emergency access.
Architect David Udelsman explained the new proposal for the central area of the new
development. He is proposing a community garden space for the residents to make that a
lively space, which will be accessed through walking paths and have garden plots, a
seating area and other amenities. The walking paths will also connect to the clubhouse.
Mike Waleryszak said there are over a mile of walking paths on the property and said
they are considering making the clubhouse a "trailhead" where people can see a map of
the site or get a drink before walking.
Mr. Annino asked ifthere will be a gazebo in the community garden. Mr. Waleryszak
said they would prefer not to have one, but to leave space for brick pavers and garden
Planning Board
2
6/5/2008
space. Mr. Udelsman said there will be two pergolas with benches. Mr. Waleryszak said
they could add a gazebo if the board wants it.
Ms. Collins said she is pleased with the thoughtful design changes. Mr. DeMassi asked if
there should be lighting in the garden area. Mr. Udelsman said he didn't think lighting
would be appropriate. Mr. McClanahan said they could use a solar-powered ground-level
light.
Mr. Burke said there are existing paths through the woods and asked if there will be
public access to those paths. Mr. Valanzola said this is private property, so they will
discourage public use of the paths. Mr. Burke asked how that would be done. Mr.
Udeslman said none of the site plans show a hard path connection between the bike path
and this site. He said he also thinks the residents will help police the area. Mr. Burke
said this is a large site, the existing trails have been there for years, and there may be
incidental use from the bike path. Several Village at Willow Crossing residents said
there are problems with trespassers from the bike path now and there should be a fence
around the whole property. Kenneth Morse, property owner, said the walking paths were
never intended to be public walking paths cart paths his family used.
Steve Paquette said they would be willing to put up a fence along the bike path, but they
wouldn't want to cut down trees to do it. Mr. Valanzola said they are not opposed to a
fence to deter trespassing. Mr. Waleryszak said in some of their facilities, they use black
or green chain link that blends in with the trees, and that would be appropriate here.
Mr. Valanzola said the emergency/construction access from Branch Street is important to
the project. He said the construction access would be used for approximately four
months, and the work wouldn't begin until fall when there is less traffic on the bike path,
work hours would be from 9:30 am to 4 pm, and someone would be posted at that access
to monitor it. There would be a gate that when open, would block the bike path so no one
could get by. They would post a bond during construction and would be responsible for
repairing any damage to the bike path. He said they would also use Cobb Street for
construction access. After construction, the Branch Street access would only be for
emergencies. Mr. Valanzola said there would be temporary construction fencing
installed at the Nicodemus property during the work.
Mr. DeMassi said the construction at Mansfield Crossing was an issue because of the
debris and he doesn't want that to happen here. Mr. Valanzola said they would have a
construction entrance pad and a sweeper on site. Mr. Waleryszak said their construction
manager has worked on a number of other projects, and they will work out a reasonable
schedule to make sure everything is done properly.
Mr. Annino said he is concerned about the construction mess. Mr. Valanzola said they
wouldn't start until the fall, so there will be less dust, and they will water any dust they
produce. Mr. Annino said he is concerned about the bluestone shown on the plan. Mr.
Gillis said the construction access would be rip rap, and the bluestone would be installed
after construction has been completed.
Planning Board
3
6/5/2008
Mr. Valanzola said the inclusionary housing by-law doesn't apply to this site because
residents buy a license for an independent living unit with an assisted living component.
Residents pay for their units, plus a monthly fee. He said this type of development would
not be eligible for state funding for affordable housing. Mr. DeMassi said if the units
count toward the number of total housing units in town, they should also count toward the
affordable housing count. He said he would like to get town counsel's opinion on this
issue. Mr. Valanzola said the by-law talks about an owner or a renter, which is not the
case here. Mr. Jodice asked if the residents build equity. Mr. Valanzola said they do
not. Mr. Burke said the analogy Mr. Valanzola is using is that the units are similar to a
hotel room, not an apartment. He said he doesn't know if the Commonwealth counts
these housing units toward the total number of units in town. Mr. French asked Mr.
Burke to talk with town counsel about whether this is applicable or not. Mr. DeMassi
said we should also find out from the state whether it will count these units toward the
town's housing count. Mr. Paquette said if this type of project were to be applied for as a
Chapter 40B development, it would be denied because of the type of housing.
Correspondence
The clerk read a memo from Mr. Alves. Mr. Burke said the applicant still has some
issues to work out with the Electric Department.
Public Comment
Cindy Ostrowski, 456 Fruit Street, said she has been using the walking paths for
horseback riding for years with permission. She asked if there is a way to work out an
agreement for the riders to continue that. Mr. Valanzola said if they were approached by
people with a history of responsible use, they would consider.
Residents said the weekend traffic is less because there are fewer employees on the
weekend shifts.
Board Comment
Mr. Jodice asked if the board can require the roadway be built to subdivision standards.
Mr. Burke said he wouldn't recommend doing that because this road will be private. Mr.
Feck said the town will not have to maintain these roadways.
Mr. Jodice asked the daily traffic counts. Mr. Michaud said Cobb Street is 550 trips per
day, with less going into the Village. He said there are federal design guidelines for very
low volume roadways that say it is more appropriate to have narrower roadways. He said
18-20 feet wide would be standard for this volume, and their road will be 24 feet.
Mr. Jodice said the roadway is much longer than would be allowed in a subdivision. Mr.
Valanzola said they are not using Branch Street, so the Cobb Street roadway has to be
longer. Mr. Burke said this is a private way and will never become public way, so it is
more analogous to a long driveway. He said the Fire Department can get its equipment to
all the points of this site.
Planning Board
4
6/5/2008
Ms. Collins said she is pleased with the work on these plans and thinks this is a good use
for the site.
Mr. Annino asked about water pressure. Mr. Udelsman said the water line will be
looped; Mr. Gillis said they have not looked into the pressure. Mr. Feck said when they
apply for a water permit, the Water Department will require a study done by an outside
engineer to prove they have the pressure.
Mr. French asked if the units will be sprinklered. Mr. Waleryszak said they will be.
Mr. McClanahan asked about the construction of the emergency access. Mr. Valanzola
said it would be rip rapped during construction, there will be an attendant, and when the
gate is open it will block the whole bike path, so no one could leave the bike path and
enter the construction area.
Mr. Burke said he has spoken with Mr. Sullivan about the temporary access across the
bike path for construction. He said while this isn't Mr. Sullivan's preference, with the
appropriate conditions and care, Engineering will be satisfied with using Branch Street
for construction and emergency access. Mr. Burke said he wants the construction to take
place during the fall and winter, so there will be fewer people using the bike path. Mr.
Valanzola said they wouldn't start until September. Mr. Burke said he would prefer work
didn't start until October. He asked when the building pads would be put in; Mr.
Paquette said they would like to get ten units and the clubhouse installed before the frost.
Mr. Burke said the developer will also need the Board of Selectmen's permission to cross
the bike path.
Mr. Valanzola said there has been some discussion about the drain on emergency
services, and he said the developer would like to make a contribution of $70,000 to the
ambulance fund within 30 days of the developer closing on the property.
Mr. French asked where this plan is with Conservation. Mr. Valanzola said they see
Conservation next week. Mr. French asked if there will be any changes to this plan based
on that meeting; Mr. Gillis said he doesn't anticipate any.
Mr. French said he is encouraged by the changes to the plans, but said he is concerned
about ensuring the residents' safety.
Mr. Valanzola asked for a vote tonight subject to town counsel's opinion. Mr. French
said if the board is comfortable, it could vote to direct Mr. Burke to prepare a decision for
the next meeting.
Motion: To ask Mr. Burke to prepare a draft special permit approval with standard
conditions and all discussed tonight (Feck-Collins)
Planning Board
5
6/5/2008
Mr. Jodice asked about another development being able to access this land using Branch
Street over the bike path. Mr. French said he believes a developer would legally be able
to access the land from Branch Street, but if it were a subdivision, they would be bound
by the maximum length of a dead-end street.
Mr. Annino asked to see the radii at the driveways on the plans.
All in favor. PASSES
Mr. French asked about a condition for the inclusionary housing by-law. Mr. Burke said
he will ask DHCD about whether the existing Village units are counted in the town's
housing total. Mr. French said town counsel has to determine whether the by-law applies
to this project.
Motion: To continue the public hearing to June 11,2008 at 7:45 p.m.
(Feck-McClanahan) All in favor. PASSES
1...5. ....F'orJDA(AlSB.)J.>>l....s
655 North Main Street - Blanchette. Mr. Burke explained the plan seeks to create Lot 2,
which has sufficient frontage and area. The existing lot will still have adequate frontage
and area.
Motion: To endorse the Form A Plan (McClanahan-Feck) All in favor. PASSES
!6...Re()rg.nize
Motion: To reappoint Mr. French Chairman (McClanahan-Jodice)
All in favor. PASSES
Mr. Annino said he respects the way Mr. French conducts meetings, and said it speaks
well of the board. Mr. French said he appreciates the confidence of the board.
Motion: To appoint Ms. Collins Clerk (DeMassi-Annino) All in favor. PASSES
Ms. Collins said she was concerned that the board gets caught up in the minutia of special
permits and is worried members may feel obligated to grant a permit if the developer
does all of those things, even if the members are still uncomfortable with the project. Mr.
Burke said the board cannot make arbitrary and capricious decisions that will land the
town in court. He said a developer can make all the changes the board asks, but if the
members still don't feel the benefits outweigh the detriments, the permit can be denied.
Mr. French said the defensibility issue is why he asks each member to articulate the
reasons for their vote.
Mr. Annino thanked Mr. DeMassi for his work on the board. He also thanked Mr. Burke
for his input and the help he gives the board. Mr. DeMassi said he has enjoyed his
service and has learned a lot, but he needs to spend more time with his family. Mr.
McClanahan wished Mr. DeMassi well.
Planning Board
6
6/5/2008
.-
Motion: To accept the Master Plan (DeMassi-Feck) All in favor. PASSES
The board asked to send letters of thanks to Pare and Ninigret. Mr. Annnino suggested
staying in touch with Kevin Hively at Ninigret as a good source for economic
development information.
Mr. French asked about the Route 106 roadway construction. Mr. Burke said work is due
to start late this summer, with one side being done at a time.
Mr. DeMassi asked about Erin's Centre. Mr. Burke said the whole site, except the
restaurant, is on a temporary certificate of occupancy.
Motion: To adjourn at 10:00 p.m. (McClanahan- ) All in favor. PASSES
tJ
C'
dnesday, June 11,2008 at 7:30 p.m.
..-"""
'7 -7 ~O'J
Date of Approval
Planning Board
7
6/5/2008